Modern plumbing has come a long way before appearing as we used to see it. All these installations, tankless toilet and smart appliances originate from recesses in stone walls connected to gutters. The age of the findings is 5000 years.
And in ancient Egypt, there were sand wooden boxes . Obviously, the connection to the gutter was out of the question then. But in the Roman Empire, the toilets were more comfortable. Like baths, they were public and connectes to the sewerage system, where water was periodically released. Unfortunately, with the decline of the empire, the culture of hygiene had come to naught, and before the Renaissance, the question of how to equip the toilets was of little interest.
The design of the valve float, which are still in modern models, was invented only in the early 18th century. And the tankless toilet has come into our lives relatively recently. In many people it is associated with an installation that assumes a tank, but it is hidden behind a false wall. In fact, however, it’s not the only option.
There are toilet bowls that don’t have a tank as such. Instead, a system with the characteristic German name “druckspüler” is used. In translation, it means “pushpull” or “flush tap”. It takes up minimal space and is very easy to install. It can be mounted in a wall, hidden behind a partition or mounted on the outside.
How do tankless toilet work? Flushing carries out with incoming water directly from the water supply. The absence of a tank and the special cartridge with two chambers ensure a very powerful pressure.
The druckspüler looks like a wall-mounted key button or a simple external design. The casing of the unit, both in concealed and open position, is a small cylindrical element in which the riser pipe fits on one side and the drain outlet into the drain system on the other.
The only thing to consider is the presence of an adequate connection to the cold water supply, as well as the implementation of the drain pipe to the toilet.
The advantages of such a tankless toilet include compactness, ergonomics and, most importantly, economical use of water resources. In addition, there are no frequent problems with standard models with cisterns: clogs, failure of the internal water level control system, flooding the tank and others.
The Japanese company Toto has always been a mansion on the market. It has been working for over 100 years (since 1917) and is actually an “iPhone” in the world of plumbing. At the same time Toto is leading not so much because of the active introduction of new technologies, but because of its rich heritage. For example, it was they who invented the rimless toilet in 2002.
MS992CUMFG#01 is a vivid combination of innovation and luxury. This model belongs to the NEOREST series. The WCs in this range have built-in automatic functions and touch control. Among them the lid that rises and falls by itself, deodorizer, auto wash. All this eliminates the need to touch the appliance, making going to the toilet as hygienic as possible.
- This ultra-smooth enamel emphasises the toto tankless toilet among standard ceramics. It eliminates any irregularities in waste, mildew and bacteria. CEFIONTECT enamel micropores are much smaller than the size of dirt particles.
- That’s why nothing sticks to the bowl and it remains absolutely clean after each wash. In terms of structure, CEFIONTECT is a duo of classic enamel and a protective layer invented by the developers of Toto. They undergo joint firing, resulting in a single vitreous coating. This makes the surface extremely durable.
- CEFIONTECT also has hydrophilic properties, which are reflected in its ability to attract moisture and level the coating.
Water consumption is only 1 gallon. This reduces resource consumption by 45% compared to standard toilets by 1.6 gallons. You save approximately 11.5 gallons per day and 4250 gallons per year!
In addition, the MS992CUMFG#01 design uses EWATER+ or so-called antibacterial water. This is a liquid which is treated by electrolysis. In this way it becomes acidic and acquires a low PH level. The system works quite simply. Before first use, the bowl is sprayed with plain water. This is done to eliminate harmful microorganisms, because fewer bacteria are retained on wet ceramics than on dry ones. After use, the bowl is sprayed with already ionized EWATER+ water, which has a bactericidal effect. It should be noted that EWATER+ is environmentally friendly and can be returned to the natural environment without fear.
- The model provides seat heating. When you approach the toilet, it starts to warm up and turns off when you leave the toilet. But you can adjust the working order and temperature according to your personal preferences.
- In addition, you can activate the intelligent energy management function. It registers how often you use the toilet and automatically lowers the seat temperature if you use it very rarely.
- This model ranks 57th among the best rated toilets 2018 on Amazon. It has a three-year warranty for residential use and a one-year warranty for commercial tankless toilets use.
TOTO does its best to make your bathroom comfortable. It’s the only way to relieve yourself of the stress and bustle of everyday work.
This is a toilet-bidet with unique WASHLET technology. It was launched in the early eighties and made a real revolution. It is the concept of a special retractable rod washer system. Toto spared no expense to improve it, and in 2017 the WASHLET series won first place in the world among tankless toilets with the bidet function. And by 2019 more than 50 million units of such products had been sold.
- The current design uses warm water, which cleans much faster than toilet paper. The temperature, force, feed angle and direction (front/rear) of the jet can be adjusted with the control panel according to your wishes. The spindle cleans itself before and after use. It is noteworthy that the rod material contains silicone and is antibacterial.
- When wet, silicone repels any solid particles. Dirt and lime scale simply have no chance. This allows the retractable nozzle to be cleaned exclusively with water. For example, the device with the WASHLET system does not need to be regularly filled with nozzle cleaning compounds and maintenance is no longer necessary.
- The toto modern toilet is equipped with an energy-saving mode if you care about the environment and budget.
There is also an interesting Premist function. It allows the bowl to be pre-wetted with tiny drops of water. This significantly reduces the effort and time spent on cleaning, reduces the use of special detergents and leaves a pleasant feeling of freshness.
Waste disposal is achieved with 3D TORNADO FLUSH, a powerful cleaning system that has “rethought” the traditional flush concept. Usually, the water flow is directed from under the rim, under which bacteria and dirt often accumulate, but in the toilets with TORNADO FLUSH it simply does not. Thus, the jets from the openings in the casing create a whirlpool effect, which eliminates impurities on the entire inner surface. The system works almost silently. It is much more pleasant and hygienic to use this device.
The 3D prefix in the title means that the toilet is additionally equipped with three nozzles, which create a strong flow of 0.9 or 1.28 gallons.
- The design also includes a Dual-Max system. This is an extremely important component. Dual-Max determines the required amount of water to flush and turns on as soon as you move away from the toilet.
- The universal height of MS920CEMFG#01 provides the most comfortable position for a wide range of users. It is suitable for all family members, regardless of age and gender, and helps people with disabilities and mobility to achieve self-service and independence. MS920CEMFG#01 can definitely be included in top rated toilets 2018.
TOTO MS982CUMG#01 Neorest 550H. Tankless toilet
Model with an advanced stretch bowl and Cyclone system. The latter is a cyclone syphon blast mechanism that uses centrifugal and gravity. Like a cyclone in the atmosphere, Cyclone technology creates a powerful whirlpool of 1.0 or 0.8 gallons. The base of the 550h toto neorest is ceramics coated with SanaGloss. It is a patented glaze that is used only in Toto products. It includes two barriers: ionized and catalytic ion, which works like a repellent. When flushed, the fine particles lose their support and are washed together with the main mass. SanaGloss creates a smooth glossy surface, preventing stains, stains and mould. The idea behind its creation is to minimize the use of household chemicals when cleaning the tankless toilet. These appliances can work for a long time without requiring cleaning. In addition, the glaze helps to reduce overall water consumption.
Like some other models of the company, toto neorest 550 h is equipped with the EWATER+ disinfection system. This means that the toilet is regularly treated with water that has been directly electrolyzed. This process enriches the liquid with bactericidal and dirty decomposing properties. EWATER+ also fights viruses which cannot be eliminated by conventional flushing.
Batteries are not required for the device to operate. The power source is electric current.
It is important that MS982CUMG#01 has WaterSense certification. It is approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as an instrument with high efficiency and minimal water consumption.
Thetford 31667Aqua-Magic VRV
Dutch company Thetford has long given the answer to the question: how do tankless toilets work in camping conditions. It is one of the most famous manufacturers of portable toilets. The corporation produces both the toilets themselves and chemical products for cleaning them.
Aqua-Magic VRV is made in classical style and, what is important, of super strong plastic. It is ideal for those who like to travel on wheels. The device can be installed in any vehicle that can be mounted and has the required height. It is the most budget and fastest way to equip the restroom in the absence of plumbing. The model is successfully connected to both plumbing and mobile water supply systems.
The flushing mechanism is double
Half-pressing the handle will add some water to the bowl, and a hundred percent will open the valve and completely flush the tankless toilet. The water flow is powerful enough to flush all waste at once. The bowl is deep enough to make you feel more comfortable to use. The toilet is also equipped with a special removable cover, which provides free access to the fixing bolts and lever mechanism. The product is protected from spillage by sealing valves.
- If you want to reduce your water consumption, use a water-saving handheld sprayer that is additionally equipped with the Thetford 31667. You can even adapt it to wash dishes if you wish.
- The unit is highly mobile and compact, making it ideal for dacha and camping. You can move it easily as it weighs less than 8 pounds.
- Special mention should be made of the universal height of the seat, which makes it convenient for children and adults.
- Sanitary liquids and powders can be used for disinfection purposes as well.
- If you want more detailed information from real users, check out the tankless toilet reviews on Amazon.
SFA Saniflo Sanicompact 023 tankless toilet
The path of success of the SFA began in 1958, in France. The company made a real breakthrough by introducing a new toilet with macerator to the world. This is a toilet, which crushes (macerates) the waste. The invention made it possible to arrange bathrooms, toilets, kitchens and laundries anywhere in the house without any serious redevelopment work. If you look closely at the tankless toilet reviews, it turns out that there are not many manufacturers of such appliances. However, the SFA range includes several dozen models that contribute to the arrangement of forced sewerage system. These are both shredder pumps, and sanitary pumps for the disposal of waste water, and special pumping stations for all sanitary ware in the house.
Saniflo Sanicompact material is vitreous porcelain. This compact toilet unites a deep, oblong bowl, double drain mechanism and the same pump-macerator in one housing. It is specifically designed for small spaces where every inch of space is strictly counted. Given the presence of the shredder, it can be installed in the most difficult places, such as in the basement.
- The toilet does not need a tank, as the rinsing and soaking cycle of the pump is automatic when the button is pressed. The latter activates the timer and solenoid valve, then the waste and paper are sucked in, where they are macerated and pumped out. The motor stops after approx. 10-15 seconds and the timer programs the filling of the bowl with fresh water. Importantly, the Saniflo 023 runs quietly.
- With this set of operations, the minimum flow is only 1.6 gallons.
Bio Bidet IB835
Bio Bidet is a leader in bidet production in North America. No wonder that IB835 meets all modern standards and even more. The design includes a unique 2-in-1 nozzle system. Thus, the jet can be soft, oscillating, pulsating, massage, wide cleaning, set only for rear cleaning, with bubbles. The nozzle automatically cleanes after each use. Flushing is also automatic.
The manufacturer provides for the transfer of IB835 in energy-saving mode, which makes it ECO FRIENDLY. This is an excellent tankless toilet for home.
The model has the style of minimalism with notes of elegance. A whole block absolutely smooth, without joints and seams. The basis of the product – vitreous porcelain. This is the strongest and densest type of ceramics.
- The WC controlles by a remote control with an LCD screen.
- At purchase you receive the whole set: adjustable seat with heating, high power deodorizer, intelligent body sensor, hair dryer. In addition, Bio Bidet gives you a three year warranty.
KOHLER K-6299-0 Veil tankless toilet
The American company Kohler is famous for premium sanitary appliances. The date of its foundation is 1883, when the Austrian John Michael Kohler heated the cast iron trough for horses and, covering it with enamel, created the world’s first enameled bath.
K-6299-0 Veil is a compact monoblock toilet. The toilet does not require extra space. It attaches to the wall, or rather to a special partition that hides the pipes, taps, cords and tank. This arrangement saves up to 12 inches.
The Kohler tankless toilet has a double drain mechanism. You can choose between 0.8 and 1.6-gallon flushing without affecting performance.
The bowl has a handy oblong shape. It is easy to clean underneath.
This type of toilet has a long service life, as all functional elements hiddes in the wall and are reliably protected from dirt, dust, moisture.
It is worth noting that the set includes a plastic seat Reveal Quiet-Close. It has unique Grip-Tight pads and Quick-Attach system for quick and safe installation. All of this holds the product firmly in place, preventing sliding and shifting. The lid closes slowly, without knocking.
A compact smart toilet for lovers of minimalism and high technology. It has an elongated bowl and saves up to eight inches of free space that is so lacking in the bathroom.
Needless to say, the device is combined with a bidet and is a sanitary hybrid with a special nozzle – a bidet. When you visit the toilet, water is supplied from a hidden container to care for intimate areas, and at the end of the process it is self-cleaning. It is noteworthy that this nozzle is made of stainless metal with bactericidal properties, which prevents the formation of mineral precipitate.
- The jet from the nozzle switches to ripple, wave or vibration mode. A built-in hair dryer can also help dry wet areas. Power and temperature are at your discretion. It will quickly get rid of unnecessary water and give you a pleasant feeling of cleanliness without the need for napkins and toilet paper.
- In this way, K-5401-PA-0 solves several hygiene tasks simultaneously.
- The flush type is double (0.8 or 1.28 gallons). The device supports both non-contact and manual flushing programs.
- It controlles via a touch screen remote control. It is also responsible for individual presetting.
Nature’s Head NH-SPH
Nature Head Composting is a real American product for living on the road. The manufacturer claims it is the most reliable version of a portable toilet. Their main goal was to create comfortable sanitary ware for people with mobile lifestyles. Therefore, NH-SPH can be used in harsh sea conditions, on land, and in any other place where there is no water supply (tents, workshops, sheds, buses, SUVs, trucks and even yurts).
This tankless toilet is quite light, with an elongated bowl, but it does not interfere with its installation in a narrow space. It does not spread unpleasant odours, which is very important in hiking conditions, and has an integrated fan with low volume air circulation, which helps cleaning. The toilet has a power of 0.72 W and draws out 1.7 amperes in 24 hours. A study of Nature’s Head in Alaska found that this equates to 4-5 cents per month in monetary terms.
- Since NH-SPH was originally designed for use on board a ship, the materials used were more durable. This standard has been maintained to this day. It is resistant to corrosive processes, resistant to acids and “heavy” chemicals, easy to clean and also perfectly tolerates contrasting temperatures. But the most important thing – antivandal properties.
- Steel is virtually impossible to deform or damage in any way.
Summing up: strengths and weaknesses
There are two types of systems . The first one is – into the wall, the second one is external. Both designs are quite compact and do not require much space. However, despite the stable position on the market and the wide range of models, tankless toilets are still unfamiliar to many people. Therefore, it is worth buying such plumbing equipment, weighing all the pros and cons in advance.
As for the pros:
- Aesthetics. The main advantage of cowhless devices is their appearance. Such toilet always looks ergonomic and modern. It does not catch the eye and does not “weight” the interior. Even on the contrary, visually the bathroom will seem spacious and lighter.
- Saving space. If you have a small bathroom, and for every inch you have to fight, choose a cowhless device with a wall type of installation, the construction without a “foot” takes up a minimum of space.
- Hygienic. Cleaning in a room without a bulky cistern is much easier and faster.
However, there are toiletless problems and weaknesses:
- Installation. Of course, everything depends on the model you choose. If it’s a mobile toilet for trailers and camping, there’s no problem. But the ultra-fashionable hinged plumbing requires quite complex installation work.
- The price. Standard models with a cistern, as a rule, are cheaper. The same situation with repair and maintenance. In addition, if the wall model breaks, you will have to destroy the finish, and then spend money not to restore it.
- The condition of the water supply system. If the fixture works with the help of a system of drukshpuler, it is necessary to have a good water pressure. Sometimes city apartments may not have enough pressure, especially during the warm season.
Give yourself clear answers to the following questions before you go shopping for a tankless toilet:
- The toilet from what material will suit you in terms of properties and cost. It can be stone, porcelain, faience, metal or plastic. The most popular option – porcelain and faience, the most original – stone, the strongest – metal, the most budget – plastic.
- What shape of the bowl is convenient for you: round, oval, rectangular, square, semi-circular, elongated. The latter is considered the most comfortable, so most manufacturers emphasize on this form.
- Which way of release is optimal for your apartment or house: vertical, horizontal, oblique, vario (double). Universal are oblique and vario.
- Bathroom equipment with what type of installation you need: tankless floor mounted toilet, wall, corner, attachments or mobile. If the toilet is fixed to the capital wall, a block type installation is suitable. If the weight is on the floor, you will need a frame type installation. It has a reinforced structure, – which is additionally attached to the wall.
- Where exactly will the fixture be located? The standard location – you can buy any type of installation, on an island – you will need systems no higher than 32 inches, in a corner – use a simple or find a special installation designed for corner toilets.
Additional functions should also be considered:
- The bidet function. Some models are already combined with a bidet, which greatly simplifies the care of intimate parts of the body, while others require the installation of a bidet cover. The most advanced devices have an electronic control panel, which allows you to regulate the force of the head, direction, angle of water supply, temperature, power of the hair dryer, etc..
- Hygienic shower. It is a short hose with a miniature handshake. It performs the same task as a bidet, but it does not require any special conditions for installation, does not take much space and is cheaper. Such a toilet shower can be fitted initially, but nothing will prevent you from fitting it later.
- Prevention of flooding. This function is activated when the tank is full of water. It activates the automatic drain system.
- “Anti-splash.” Instruments with this function have a narrow funnel-shaped bowl that prevents splashing. In addition, the drain hole in them is arranged asymmetrically. This design is found in many models and has almost no impact on cost.
- Without a bezel. Such a toilet is virtually the same on the outside as the standard version. Feature is a small change that affects the flow of water at the time of drainage – the lack of bezel, which distributes the liquid around the perimeter of the bowl. However, the bezel has a negative impact – under it dirt accumulates and bacteria multiply. The rimless design solves this problem radically: no rim – no hidden areas. Some models are also equipped with a breaker that divides the jet into several directions.
- Double drain button. With this button you will control the water flow. Drainage can be small or full. With this mode, you will save 20-25 cubic meters of water per year.
It would be a good idea to study producer policy and read the tankless toilet reviews. German, American, Japanese firms have managed to earn a good reputation. Chinese companies can boast of a wide range of products, but the quality of sanitary ware from the Celestial Empire is not always good. Some manufacturers in order to save money carry out firing ceramics on accelerated technology, which suffers from the strength of the material.
Having an idea of what type of WC will fit into your interior, you will easily make the right choice.
You can be interested in Best smart toilets. Guide as well.