What is the difference between a wrist splint and wrist support?
The wrist splint or wrist brace has a lightweight metal palmar bar running under the wrist and in the palmar crease to prevent flexion of the wrist.
The wrist splint supports and holds the wrist in a neutral position, reducing strain on the tendons. A carpal tunnel splint is excellent for conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, providing optimal support without putting pressure on the median nerve and exacerbating symptoms.
Splint wearers sleep more comfortably because the wrist is not bent, reducing pain and numbness.
Wrist supports or protective shields can be worn during activities where full flexibility is required. From gardening to playing tennis, the guards provide full wrist mobility and reliable support.
These supports have no metal splints; their support is provided by strong elastic straps that wrap around the wrist, creating the necessary compression.
What wrist support is right for me?
With so many options available, varying in color, material or support, it can seem difficult to find the right one for you. Each type provides a different level of support and comfort, so it’s important to consider the following:
- Which to choose: the splint or the support? It depends on the condition. Generally, a splint provides a higher level of support and speeds up the healing process. It is ideal for overnight use, but it can also be worn during the day, allowing you to perform most daily activities. Wrist splints are ideal for conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, sprained ligaments or wrist tendonitis. Wrist supports are ideal for sports or activities that require full wrist flexibility.
- What material is the support made of? Actesso supplies neoprene, elastic, cotton and foam wrist supports.
- What type of attachment does the support have? The support bandage is attached with straps with hooks and loops, and the number can vary from three to five. Individual preferences and medical requirements will influence your choice.
- Is the splint removable? All Actesso wristbands have removable palmar jumpers that are ideal for easy cleaning.
- Is the bandage aesthetic? If the bandage will be worn all day, decide which color or design will be most comfortable for you.
- What sizes are available? Choosing the right size is key. The support should provide the best balance of support and comfort. Actesso supports are available in different sizes to ensure a custom fit. Measure your wrist circumference and use the size guide. Alternatively, call our Actesso specialists who will be happy to advise you.